I’m Allan Revich. I am an artist, a musician, and and adult educator, in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
Art and Music
- Digital Salon – Website for my visual art and the Fluxus Blog
- Bandcamp – My experimental music and free improvisation work
- Papa Dafoe – My work as a blues musician
- Facebook Page – Allan Revich, Artist
- Free Jazz Forum – Online community for players of experimental music
About Allan Revich
- Born 1956 in Toronto, Canada
- Studied art at the University of Toronto, the Ontario College of Art, and the Jerusalem Printmaking Workshop.
- Graduated from the University of Toronto with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree and from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education with a Master of Education (M.Ed., Adult Education & Counselling Psychology) degree.
- Graduate Certificate in Solution Focused Brief Therapy from the University of Toronto.
- Lived in Israel for five years, as a member of Kibbutz Kiryat Anavim, and served as a soldier in the IDF.
- Art has been exhibited in several major international group shows.
Work is in several private and public collections worldwide. Poetry has appeared in the collections of small press publications. Poetry and visual poetry have also been published in several art books.
- Founding member of Toronto blues band, the Bluenatics.
My Personal Story
Born in Toronto, I went to Page Avenue Public School, Bayview Junior High, and George Vanier Secondary School. I spent summers at Camp Northland in the Haliburton Highlands. I have three younger siblings, and I’m a husband, dad, grandpa, and uncle.
I majored in Fine Art at the University of Toronto and spent one year at Tel Aviv University, graduating with a BA from U of T. After graduation I moved to Israel where I was a member of a Kibbutz (agricultural cooperative), near Jerusalem, and was drafted into the Israeli army. After a couple years of military service (including a stint in southern Lebanon), and a couple more years on the Kibbutz, I returned to Toronto with my wife and baby son. I worked in retail banking for about 5 years, including branch management, and at RBC Visa head office. As personal computers came into vogue for home and business I became a bit of an IT “nerd”. That led to a long career at the University of Toronto where I also earned my Master’s degree and worked in Union/Management relations. I retired from the University in 2015. In 2019 I moved with my wife to Victoria, British Columbia.
Allan Revich Artist’s Statement
I have always been interested in the conceptual basis for art. What is art? Does art have to be beautiful? Does it have to be meaningful, and if so to whom? I use my art and writing to explore the places in which different media intersect. My work draws on many influences, ranging from the concept drawings of Leonardo da Vinci to the creative explorations of artists like Marcel Duchamp, Claude Monet, Ellsworth Kelly, and Richard Serra. John Cage has been a major influence on my art and my music. Most recently I have been reengaging with Minimalism, and the idea of saying as much as possible with a reduced palette. My work is also influenced by social, political, and postmodern theoretical discourse from the world at large. For the last several years I have aligned myself closely with Fluxus and Intermedia. I also contribute frequently to the Fluxlist and the Fluxlist Facebook Group
There are more twists and turns to my story, but you’ll have to get to know me if you’re curious!